Hearts given out as simply as this would melt mine! One of the nicest ‘I still love you’ days is Valentines Day. From young boys and girls exchanging red hearts in small envelopes to large cards arriving in the mail (for us older folks) this day is meant to be — a special day to everyone on the planet — and meant to remind us that we are loved by someone who cares enough to go the extra inch, the extra mile, the extra second to make us feel ‘Special’ to ‘Someone’.
If you are thinking of making candy hearts this year to share I’d like to share a very good recipe from taste of home site I found. I’ve made these and they are very good.
Valentine Candy Hearts Recipe
- 1 package (7 ounces) watermelon-flavored hard candies
- ROYAL ICING:
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1-3/4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1 yard of 1/8-inch-wide satin ribbon in white or the color of your choice
- 3 to 3-1/2-inch heart-shaped metal cookie cutter
- Candy hearts: Place heart-shaped cookie cutters on a piece of foil, leaving space above the top of each cookie cutter for placing the ribbon hanger later. Coat the foil and cutters with cooking spray.
- Cut the satin ribbon into six 6-in. lengths. Place the ends of one ribbon piece together to form a loop. Position the ribbon loop at the top of one cookie cutter so the ends are touching the foil and the loop drapes over the top of the cookie cutter. In the same way, position a ribbon loop on each remaining cookie cutter. Set aside.
- Unwrap the hard candies and place in the large resealable heavy-duty plastic bag. Crush the candies using a mallet or rolling pin. Transfer the candies to the large heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Fill each prepared cookie cutter with the melted candy to a 1/4-in. thickness, covering the ends of each ribbon loop at the same time. Let stand for 1-2 minutes. Carefully remove the cutters. Let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Royal icing: In a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, water and meringue powder. Beat on high speed for 6-8 minutes or until thickened.
- Insert the pastry tip in one corner of pastry or plastic bag and cut a hole in the bag. Place the icing in the bag. Pipe the desired designs or Valentine phrases on each heart. Yield: 6 candy hearts.